A long time ago in a beach town far far away......

A young jedi must learn to conquer his own fears, doubts, and the use of computers, to overcome the tyranny of the advancing Empire. Though powerful the darkside may be, neither the strength nor determination of a young jedi should be underestimated.



Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Life in the Fast Lane!!!

Hey everyone sorry for the extended delay from the last post. I have been too busy doing stuff to write about the stuff I've been doing. Immediately after my trip to Davis I took on my first round of midterms. Despite not having that much time to study I actually did better than ever. I am currently taking Developmental Neuro Biology, River Ecology, and Gods of India. So far so good with only 4 weeks left. Here's a brief run down of what Ive been up to.

Avett Brothers Concert:
I recently had the pleasure of taking in an Avett Brothers concert and the majestic Arlington Theater in SB. Carolyn, Braden, Ryan, Kevin, Lindsey and I all scored tickets to what was one of the best shows I've seen in some time. The Avett Brothers are two brothers that hail from North Carolina who are accompanied by a celloist, bassist, and drummer. Their style is hard to categorize and changes from song to song. Some songs have a bluegrass feel, other and rock songs with catchy melodies and great lyrics. In addition to singing the brothers play piano, banjo, guitar and harmonica. Few people have heard of them as they enjoy success just below the mainstream radio surface. Their newest album (I and Love and You) is fantastic from start to finish. Leave me a comment with a request for it and I will send you a free copy of their newest CD to check out!
Favorite Lyrics:
The weight of lies will drag you down, follow you to every town, cause nothing happens here that doesn't happen there
So when you run make you run to something and not away from cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you down.




Marine Mammals!:
My recent unemployment has left me with some time to fill up and an opportunity to do something a little different. Enter the Channel Island Marine Wildlife Institute (CIMWI). CIMWI is a non-profit organization run by a local vet and his wife that rescue and rehabilitates marine mammals in Ventura County (South of SB). I began volunteering in April and have had an opportunity to care for two 1 year old California Sea Lion pups. As a volunteer I clean the pup's enclosure, feed, medicate, and sometimes take the patients for a swim. Each of these pups was found under weigh and too close to heavily populated areas. We operate out of an old abandoned school up the coast from SB.Here's a few pictures of patients number 4 and number 6. (We don't name them to avoid getting too attached, yeah right):




Sadly Number 4 has since passed away. However, I am pleased to report the little girl (Number 6) is getting stronger and it now eating 6 pounds of Mackerel a day. Wish her luck! I will be volunteering at CIMWI for next next few months at least and will be sure to share my experiences.

And if all that weren't enough I recently gassed up the Honda and headed north to Tahoe. The occasion: Dave's Bachelor Party Weekend! After knowing Dave for 17 years it was a little surreal attending his bachelor party. His was the first bachelor party Ive gone to and it was a blast. Dave's cousins and family members found a cabin in Tahoe which we all chipped in on, renting it for the weekend. Here are a few highlights of the trip:

Upon arriving in Tahoe after 9 hours on the road I met everyone at Harvey's and got the idea to put a twenty bill into a slot machine so as to obtain a free drink. I promptly lost my twenty dollars without so much as a cocktail waitress fly-by. Dejected and a refreshed memory of why I don't like to gamble I became a spectator. Watching Dave and his brother lose money was a lot easier. Gradually the machines began to call to me and I put the last one dollar bill into a slot machine "Hot Pennies". Dave said "press the red button"! I said "what does that do?". "I dunno just do it" he replied. Upon pressing the red button I realized I had bet all but 40 cents of my dollar in one fell swoop and I started to yell at Dave. Soon I was interrupted by flashing lights, loud noises, explosions, ringing. When the noise had concluded I had won back $18.60. Time to call it a night. I never did get a free drink.

Quotes from Drunk Dave:
"I am going to stoke this smogie"
"Guys, guys, I'm going to be like 65% serious right now"
Next Morning: "Dave you need anything" Dave from bathroom floor: "a bullet....for my head"

We also played a mysterious dice game with all of Dave's family. It seemed fun so I tried it despite not having a concrete idea of the rules...or the objective...or why i had to pay a dollar. As it turns out on my first and second roll I did something right because Daves uncle said I sucked, Dave high-fived my hand off, and people started calling me "Mr. Midnight". Good times. It was nice to see John and Mikey who eventually arrived in time to toast the bachelor and toss back a few shots of Petrone. By the way his wedding is in August and I am set to officiate the ceremony which was in fact agreed upon far prior to any drinking. Goood times.

Whew! So there are the highlights from the last few weeks. I type this now waiting to hop a flight to Arizona to assist my cousin Reanna down the aisle at her wedding(apparently she gets lost easily). I promise to post info regarding all things graduation very soon. Thanks for reading, love you all, hope yall are well.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bud!! this is Megs lol I love your blog its amazing:) And i can't wwait to see you in a coupe weeks in Santa Barbara! Very Exciting and congrats on finishing school I'm prud of you!!!LOVE YA LOTS C YA SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you're having fun son. i remember having fun,it's a kinda fading memory. wise i was with ya at the foreigner,styx,kansas show.

    ReplyDelete