A long time ago in a beach town far far away......

A young jedi must learn to conquer his own fears, doubts, and the use of computers, to overcome the tyranny of the advancing Empire. Though powerful the darkside may be, neither the strength nor determination of a young jedi should be underestimated.



Friday, May 28, 2010

Too Much Time On My Hands!!

With finals right around the corner there's no sign that this train is slowing down. One week after the wedding (Reannas not ours) Carolyn and I were once again braving LA traffic. Our nearly four hour end at the Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario, at the pearly (metal detecting) gates of rock heaven. LIVE and in Concert KANASAS, STYX, and FOREIGNER! Carolyn got us tickets for my birthday (what a woman!) for the rock concert event of a generation (not really mine). Upon arrival we broke out our sack lunches and scarfed them while chatting to a nice couple next car over who had seen these guys before I was born. A parking lot T-shirt guy approached us with concert shirts," one for 15, two for 20". I was able to successfully haggle for two t-shirts for $ 15 despite his tough sell mentality. By haggle I mean, I said "I only have 15" and he said "Ok". It was like I was at a crowded bazaar in Morocco! And then it was show time. Kanasas opened and yea they play "carry on my wayward son" and "dust in the wind". They sounded great even though they didn't have as much energy as the other gods of rock. Next up, my favorite, STYX. They sounded awesome and had lots of energy. Though I do have to ask why is it that aging rocker feel the need, nay, the obligation to wear skin tight pants. Are they desperately clinging to their sex symbol status of bygone eras or are those just the same pants they wore on stage when the were Twenty-something. STYX played all the greatest hits, Come sail away, Renegade, Madame Blue, etc etc. It was at this point our faces began to melt due to the rock n roll. Finally Foreigner took to the stage to finish the night off. Hot Blooded Check it and SEE!! Their new signer (not Lou Gramm) sounds eerily like him but looks like Steven Tyler. They had a very cheezy video screen behind them that displayed images the were pretty much literal interpretations of the songs they played. On juke box hero they show a computer animated dude with frickin literal stars in his eyes. Eventually the house lights went up. Carolyn and I were totally deaf and near mute from belting out the classic tunes. Gotta thank my parents for showing me real rock n roll. Especially dad who took me unsuspectingly to all those old rocker shows at the fair. STYX pleads guilty to tight pants charge

2 comments:

  1. I stand by my statement that STYX can TOTALLY play our wedding (as long as they're not still touring with Foreigner and Kansas by that time)! And if we can't get the whole band, then just the keyboardist...he alone is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Good times!! Glad to see that classic rock lives on in your heart also!!

    ReplyDelete